Saturday, March 27, 2010

SQL - most used skill/tool/thing

In interviews the interviewer usually asks about what tools or languages I used in my past job. My resume lists a few. So that means I'm good right? Well not quite. The resume shows what I have experience/exposure to, but not the level of competence. Hopefully this post will answer that question a bit. The one that I feel most comfortable with would be SQL. Just plain good 'ol SQL. Not 'MySQL' or any variation thereof (although I would have no problem using MySQL or any other tool that is similar). SQL.


In the past I used it if not daily then every other day. Usually it was just simple statements like:

SELECT * FROM tbl_doctors WHERE LNAME = "SMITH" AND phy_type = "podiatry";

Or perhaps something like this if a user had accidentally 'deleted' an object from the program. They would see it as gone from the program, but it wasn't actually deleted from the database. It was now just invisible to them and thus not available.:

UPDATE tbl_Eye_objects SET col_Avail = "1" WHERE col_ID = "1E00976" AND col_surgery_req = "no";


That is what's considered simple by my definition. For what it's worth the example is short and to the point, but still effective. In the above example the names of the tables and columns were changed but you get the idea.


SQL is something that I liked quite a bit. Hopefully SQL will be a part of my next job and I'll be able to build it as a skill even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment